Sunday, October 11, 2009

2004 Interview, Page 4


MJS- So instead of having timber rafters you’re going to have limbs from trees?
LK- Well, I’ve got limbs I find out in the desert now, that I make car tire trees to hold it up- you know that, I guess…
MJS- I didn’t know that these… these are made out of tires?
LK- I’d like to show you, OK? Then you’ll get a better idea of what I’m taking about. It’ll only take 10 seconds to show you… this here’s a car tire tree!
MJS- AHA! I never knew these were made from car tires!
LK- They’re out in the desert by the hundreds- tires. So if I get 14 more flat-tire trees and 3000 bales of hay I can dome this whole thing over as a museum. And I should have started it probably when I was 8 years old. But this is what started this whole thing off, over here... and, God, let me explain this the way it is. This is the inside of that hot air balloon that rotted out on me. There’s over 1000 bales of hay in it. And it started to crack on me here and there and yonder, and I made this tree with a wheelbarrow. With tractor tires and wet, sloppy adobe, six truck tires and adobe, 15 or 18 car tires… and then I started poking sticks into it to hold it up.God, it excites me, but about four years ago I checked my mail and in Germany magazine they had a picture of my car tire handmade tree- and it’s gone popular. And that’s got me into making trees into museums. People like that all over the world. I get inspired, enthused, puffed up, and happy (laughs) - I’m just trying to be real honest with you. And if I gab too much you can always cut it out of your stuff anyways.That balloon that I made was 10 stories high- 200 feet. And this is going to be a duplicate of it- I’m going to have Jesus 100 foot wide over that mountain.
MJS- How many hours a day are you working on this.
LK- Only about 2 or 3 now. Because in the morning, about 6 to 8- and then there’s a lot of visitors. And to me, the important thing- no matter what I’m doing if people come in I want to treat ‘em nice. I want to give them a tour- “hey, welcome…”, and that’s my same etiquette, and have 9 million people from 17 more countries photographing it…
MJS- What do you think about when you’re working on the thing- do you just have your mind on your work, or…
LK- No, I have my mind on Jesus. I love Jesus head on. I’m trying to tell the churches that…Jesus, I love you according to the Bible, Father I love you and I’m looking at you the best I can. I love you. And I’m getting personal with Jesus. I don’t have to dress up and go to church and listen to a man once a week. God, I do that when I’m painting. For some reason the church won’t grasp this yet. I’m totally lost. They say “where do you go to church?” … I know one thing- the Bible says that Jesus is within the heart of people. Everybody he ever made- that’s where the church is, in the heart. It’s in your heart, my heart, everybody’s heart. So I tell everybody that God loves everybody he ever made. For some reason I’ve got to… my goodness, if I go 20 minutes without thinking of Jesus Christ I feel bad. “God, what am I thinkin’ about? I’m sorry, God, I love you”, and I’m getting personal with Jesus. Otherwise how could God pick somebody who quit school in the 10th grade, I was shy- never liked a group of over 20 people. Was never capable of doing anything. All of a sudden, God Is Love Mountain, without the church world, is (being seen) all over the world because I’ve got a revelation to love Jesus Christ head on. I hope you remember that. And one thing you could do that would really thrill me is to look into the Bible, and to look into Acts 2:38, and see that it’s in there.I’ve got some more people. I’ll be right back.

**********************************************************************

LK- 10 years ago when they were going to bulldoze me down the artists of the world, and the Earth Art Raw Vision artists, folk art, all of ‘em- got on my side. The artists really backed me up worldwide on this. And the Los Angeles Times said “The laws of God and the laws of man are going to collide in Niland, California.” And everybody that read the LA times, (every art museum), was on my side- “are you scrapin’ the chapel off overseas (the Sistine Chapel)?” or something like that. So, I thank God for the United States- 10 years later… back then I was a toxic nightmare (endangering the health of) the people- now I’d like to show you a gold plaque from the Senate of the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment